Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Let the framing begin!

It truly has been quiet - nothing to report.  After a week waiting for the delivery of the framing materials, then there was a delay while our carpenter recovered from an injury.  Finally after 2 weeks of quiet, it's time for major progress!  Terribly unfortunate that our house couldn't be the one that got framed by toasty, warm carpenters during the 50+ degree weather.

Yesterday, the carpenters spent the day planning, measuring and installing the sill plate.  That's the wood frame that is installed directly on the foundation walls.  I stopped by the site around 7:30 this morning and the first floor joist was in place.

As of 7:30 this morning.
I stopped by again after work around 5:00 and found this!   

At 5:00, all the joists are in place - I pray that floor won't squeak like our current floor.
And the bearing wall in the basement is framed in.  This will be the stairs to the basement which will someday be a family room.  

The only bearing wall section in the basement, otherwise it's wide open.
I was asked by the carpenter - in a nice way - if I was going to stop by every day.  I said I would want to visit if cool stuff was happening.  I didn't have the heart to tell what I think qualifies as cool.  We shall see each other often.

Craigslist Update
While it's been a bit of a dry spell, Craig finally came through this weekend.  I have been watching for a new garbage disposal.  Our contractor had 2 stipulations, it had to be an InSinkerator and it had to be 3/4 horse power.  He had spec'd $150 for one.  I was able to buy a new InSinkerator Cover Control (a batch disposer model) which retails for around $300 for $80.  Never knew that there was such a thing as a batch disposer, but per Consumer Reports, the only downside is the cost...  <smug grin>


1 comment:

  1. Wow...it's fun watching it start to take shape! Congratulations on the Craig find...it's quite amazing the money you are saving and the "joy of the hunt" you are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete