Monday, April 30, 2012

2-Hour Subcontractor Blitz

2 Hours, 4 Subcontractors.  With the scheduling leading up to the move-in date, there is not a lot of excess time to deliberate on decisions.  I took 2 hours off this morning and met with 4 subcontractors and our GC.  I thought treats were in order, so I took a coffee cake...  I had to push it on the guys!  Next time, apples and Mueslix.  

1.  Mudroom Floor

First up, the mudroom floor.  I wasn't exactly sure how I wanted the layout, so I had ordered and 80% light (127 Warm Beige) / 20% dark (239 Brown Earth) color mix.  J.O. Thompson in St. Paul will be doing the mudroom tile and carpet.  It took us about 15 minutes and we have a fun, slightly quirky pattern - still geometric and symmetric, of course.

View in from the back door, the dark tiles take you to a rug detail in the hall outside of the powder room.  

Since light will be a little sparse in the mudroom, I opted for more light tiles in the mudroom.  I love a checkerboard pattern, but it seemed a little busy in this room, especially since we have 2-toned cabinets.

I got my checkerboard pattern in the small powder room.   Brown chocolate walls are coming, too!  

We used Vinyl Composite Tiles (VCT) from Mannington.  These are usually used in industrial applications and are very, very cheap - only $.99 a square foot for almost any color under the sun.  We like the idea of basically indestructible, industrial-feeling, cheap stuff.  This will be a couple hundred dollars cheaper than sheet vinyl - score!

2.  Excavator
After a weekend meeting with a landscaper, we have an initial plan.  I needed to let our excavator know what this meant for moving dirt around and brining in black dirt so stuff will actually grow.  Much yet to do here, but we think there will be a raised bed directly behind the house with an 18" wall, perfect height for sitting.  Then a patio will tie into the drive way to provide a space to turn around.

A hand drawn plan is as good as it's going to get for now.  The excavator needed to take the plan, so this picture is all that I have.
3.  Glass/Mirror Guy
Two areas needed love from the glass guy from Minneapolis Glass.  The master shower is getting a frameless glass shower door with the equivalent of RainEx on the glass so it doesn't etch.  We also are getting a mirror made for above the kid's vanity.  Pretty cheap and a weird dimension, so a no-brainer.  

4.  Painter
The house is being brought to you by Valspar.  Yes, that is where Andy works, but supporting his company is only a bonus because the paint is so fabulous!  I am only sort of kidding, after 2 homes with almost every surface painted, Valspar is a complete standout.  So, happy to oblige :)

All the pretty Valspar cans lined up and ready to bring color to our 2nd floor.   Lucy thinks this will be just like her painting at school...  I hope not, no offense kid.
A brief look at the interior color pallet.  What you don't see are a couple of grays for the bedrooms, but hopefully I can show you that once they are on the walls.


No comments:

Post a Comment